Kimchi Fried Rice
From McGough's Recipes
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 cup kimchi, coarsely chopped and 2 tablespoons juices reserved*
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 (3.5-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1/2 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- 4 fried eggs
- 1/4 cup nori strips
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- In a large saucepan of 3 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together kimchi juice, soy sauce, gochujang and sesame oil.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and ginger, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in kimchi, mushrooms and carrots. Cook, stirring constantly, until mushrooms are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in rice, kale and kimchi juice mixture until the kale has wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with eggs, nori strips, green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.