Baked Pimento Bacon Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb Elbow Noodles
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 Yellow Onion, small dice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp DICED PIMENTO PEPPERS, DIVIDED
- 2 CLOVES GARLIC, MINCED
- 5 Tbsp Flour
- 2 1/2 cups HEAVY CREAM
- 1 1/2 CUPS WHOLE MILK
- 3 SPRIGS FRESH THYME
- 1 SPRIG ROSEMARY
- 2 EA BAY LEAVES
- 1 TBSP WHOLE BLACK PEPPERCORN
- 1 LB GRUYERE, SHREDDED
- 1 CUP PANKO
- 1/4 CUP PARMESAN CHEESE
- 4 TBSP BUTTER, MELTED
- 1/2 TBSP SMOKED PAPRIKA
- 1/4 CUP COOKED BACON, CRUMBLED
- 1 TSP FRESH PARSLEY, CHOPPED
- When ready to cook, set the temperature to 350℉ and preheat, lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Heat butter in a medium stock pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes or until translucent and tender. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds more. Add flour and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Cook roux for 1 minute until it smells slightly nutty. While whisking, stream in milk and cream and continue to whisk until flour clumps are worked out.
- Wrap herbs and black peppercorn in cheese cloth and tie up with twine. Drop into cream mixture and simmer 15-20 minutes until liquid thickens. Remove cheese cloth with herbs and discard.
- Remove from heat, whisk in gruyere until melted through and season with salt. Set aside until noodles are ready.
- Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook 6-8 minutes until al dente. Drain and rinse pasta. Add to cheese sauce and stir to coat. Pour mixture into a large cast iron pan.
- In a small bowl combine panko, parmesan cheese, melted butter, paprika and stir well. Sprinkle mixture over mac and cheese.
- Place cast iron pan directly on the grill grate and bake 15-20 minutes until cheese sauce is bubbling and top is lightly browned.
- Remove from the grill, top with bacon and chopped parsley and serve. Enjoy!
- Cook times will vary depending on set and ambient temperatures.
Link to recipe